However, if for some reason you need to enter the Schengen area during transit (for example to change terminals or airports or if your destination is within the Schengen area), you may require a C-Visa.
Only five airports in Germany have an international transit zone enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area:
- Frankfurt International Airport (FRA)
- München/ Munich International Airport (MUC)
- Berlin Airport (BER, 6am to 11pm only)
- Hamburg Airport (HAM, 4:30am to 11:30pm only)
- Düsseldorf Airport (DUS, 6am to 9pm only). Only if the carrier has arranged for transit facilities with the Federal Police beforehand. Please check with your airline!
Nationals of the following countries do not yet enjoy transit privileges and therefore require an airport transit visa (category A) for transit at a German airport even if they remain airside and do not have to enter the country:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Ghana (except holders of diplomatic and service passports)
- India (except holders of diplomatic passports)
- Jordan (exceptions apply for transits to and from Australia and New Zealand)
- Pakistan (except holders of diplomatic passports)
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Turkey (except holders of diplomatic, service and special passports)
The following nationals of the countries listed above are nonetheless exempt from airport transit requirements, if they are
- Holders of valid visas and national residence permits issued by any EU and Schengen country,
- Holders of certain national residence permits issued by the following countries: Andorra, Japan, Canada, San Marino, United States of America,
- Holders of valid visas issued by an EEA country (all EU member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) or visas issued by Japan, Canada or the United States of America.
The application process
The application has to be submitted personally. The application can be processed within 15 days upon submission of your complete visa application but for some nationalities it can take up to 45 working days. Please submit your application at least 15 days but not earlier than six months before the scheduled departure.
The visa application fee for an adult is the equivalent of EUR 80.00 in QAR. This non-refundable charge is payable in cash or debit card at VFS when applying.
Please bring the following documents plus one copy of each to your appointment at VFS Global and keep the following order of the documents. Documents in languages other than German, English or French must be translated by an authorized translator.
Further documentation may be requested in each individual case
2 fully biometric passport photo, 35 x 45 mm, no older than three months. Digitally altered passport photos cannot be accepted. Please ensure that your photo adheres to German biometric requirements and is taken in front of a white/bright background.
Original passport or travel document valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen area. The passport/travel document must contain at least two blank pages and was issued within the last 10 years. Provide photocopy of the passport data page, previous Schengen visas within last 3 years and valid USA/UK/ Australia visas if available.
Proof of legal residence in Qatar, valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended date of departure from the Schengen territory
A reservation for a round-trip airline ticket with the applicant’s name. Successful applicants might be requested to present their original return airline ticket.
Travel/medical insurance (coverage on medical expenses at least EUR 30,000 and valid for the entire Schengen area for the duration of the applicant's planned stay). It is a requirement that claims against the insurance company are recoverable in a Member State. The insured party, policy validity period, geographical coverage and schedule of benefits must be mentioned of the policy schedule/certificate. Insufficient proof of valid Travel Medical Insurance can lead to repatriation from the Schengen area.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Furnished false information or fake documents during the visa application process will lead automatically to a denial of the application and will lead also to an entry ban for Germany (possibly therefore also for the other Schengen countries)!
Please use the online appointment booking system of VFS.
It is not possible to book an appointment via phone or email.