Family reunion to spouse or registered partner or children

16.02.2023 - Article

This visa enables you to travel to Germany and apply to the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) for a residence permit in order to join your spouse or registered partner.

This visa provides a seamless transition into a residence permit.

Processing period

The processing period may take 2-3 months. During the processing period you cannot inquire about the status of your application. Upon expiry of the processing period only the applicant, his/her legal representative or persons holding an authorization letter from the applicant may inquire about the status of the visas.


The fee is 75,00 €, payable in QAR cash or by international credit card in Euro (Mastercard, Visa). Euro cash, checks or debit cards are not accepted. The application form can be downloaded for free.

Necessary documents

Please bring the following documents in the mentioned order to your appointment at the Embassy. Additional documents may in some cases be requested. Documents sent in advance will not be archived.

Complete the online application form (application forms are required for each applicant separately; all children require separate forms).

Bring one printed and signed form including the barcodes to your appointment.

A valid passport signed by the holder, issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least one year is necessary. The passport needs to have at least 2 subsequent blank pages. Please bring 1 photocopy of the passport biodata page to your appointment.

1 fully biometric passport photo, 35 x 45 mm, no older than three months. Digitally altered passport photos cannot be accepted. Please ensure that your photo adheres to German biometric requirements and is taken in front of a white/bright background.

Bring your valid Qatar residence permit (QID) and 1 photocopy to your appointment.

German law recognises both mixed-sex and same sex marriages as well as registered partnerships/ civil unions between same-sex partners. Mixed-sex civil/ registered partnerships and de facto relationships are not recognised under German law.

It makes no difference if the person you are joining is already in Germany or if you will be moving together.

If issued outside Germany, the EU or the UK, documents need to be legalised or apostilled as applicable.
Any document in a language other than German, English or French needs to be translated into one of these languages by a certified or sworn translator.
Plus: 1 photocopie of the certificate and (if applicable) the translation

Original or certified copy of German passport (biodata page only) or German ID card (Personalausweis) of spouse/ partner (front and reverse)
Plus: 1 photocopie of the passport biodata page or the ID card

If spouse/ partner is already resident in Germany: 1 photocopie of confirmation of spouse’s/ partner’s registration (Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung)

Certificates issued by any institution testing in accordance with the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) are accepted. The test may not be older than one year. There are a number of exemptions from the language proficiency requirement.

Book an appointment

Please use our online appointment booking system. Booking via telephone or email is not possible. At the appointment, you will submit all required documents and pay the visa processing fee. You will be interviewed with regard to your planned stay in Germany and your biometric data (passport photograph and fingerprints) will be collected.

Top of page